Guests visiting MIM enjoy a unique collection of instruments from around the world. Help us keep these instruments safe so that our children, grandchildren, and their grandchildren may enjoy them for many years to come.
To ensure the safety of our guests and the collection, MIM enforces the following policies:
- For security reasons, MIM reserves the right to inspect all items carried into or out of the museum.
- Backpacks, non-stroller baby carriers, umbrellas, tripods and other similar items must be deposited at the complimentary coat check located at Guest Service. Babywearing is permitted only via slings or carriers worn on the front of the body. Purses and bags larger than 18 inches by 18 inches must also be deposited at coat check.
- Complimentary wheelchairs and baby strollers are available on a first-come, first-served basis at the Guest Service desk and must be returned before exiting the building.
- Weapons (handguns, mace/OC, knives with a blade over 2 inches, etc.) are not permitted in the building and are not accepted at the coat check.
- Food and drinks are available for purchase in Café Allegro and must be consumed in the designated Café or Family Center. No outside food or drinks are allowed in the building.
- Trained service animals are welcome at MIM; however, pets are not allowed in the building.
- Smoking is permitted only in designated areas, and is not allowed within 20 feet of the front entrance.
- Instruments and objects on display may not be touched except in the specially marked Experience Gallery on the first floor. Please stay behind any barriers and at least one foot away from all instruments.
- MIM strives to exceed ADA requirements whenever possible, and offers a variety of accessible features. If guests require additional accessible resources, please notify Guest Service at least two weeks prior to visiting.
- Assistive listening system available upon request. Please inquire at Guest Service.
- Captions and transcripts are available for videos with English singing and minor narration.
- The MIM Music Theater has a limited number of accessible and companion seats throughout the venue, which are available on a first-come, first-served basis and must be requested during the ticket purchase.
- Children under the age of twelve must be accompanied by a responsible adult at all times during their visit. Teachers and chaperones supervising school groups must review our school group tour policies.
- Non-flash photography is permitted in the galleries unless otherwise marked.
- Photography and audio or video recording are strictly prohibited in the theater.
- Cell phones must be silenced or put on vibrate mode when in the building.
- Texting is prohibited in the theater during performances.
- Late seating at theater performances will take place at the discretion of the House Manager.
- All sales and transactions are final. MIM does not offer refunds or exchanges.